Tuesday, November 28, 2006

 

WD-40... say no more; eh?


WD-40 is a wonderful invention... (or perhaps discovery). Today I used some to fix a couple of problems in my truck. I also used some to loosen the screws on my mountain bike shoes so I could adjust the cleats therein. Maybe I could use WD-40 to loosen up some human minds that are stuck in a rut.

Ahem... sorry, I almost forgot my committment to row my own seat. Or as my Aunt Susan is wont to say, "Hey! I'm screwing this chicken... screw your own chicken!"

WD-40 is an amazing product. It claims to clean, displace moisture, lubricate, penetrate, and protect. Sounds like a succesful date to me - except for the displacing moisture part. Perhaps this hole in my knowledge contributes to my ongoing bachelorhood.


My truck is seven years old and has 120,000 miles on it. My truck's name is Hugo, and Hugo has served me quite well over the years. Recently I noticed that the overdrive switch wasn't working and I also found that the headlights would go off when turning off the high beams - which made night driving a bit more interesting than usual. The overdrive switch is located in the end of the transmission selector lever (on the right side of the steering column); the high-beam switch is on the "ear" (on the left side of the steering column) which also controls the turn signals and windshield wipers.

My dog is nine years old; his name is Barney. He's a loyal and gentle companion. He's got a weakness for "food". I made a promise to The Big B that I would never punish him for indulging in food. After all, he is who he is and he can't help it. I do discourage him from going astray into garbage heaps and such things that are not in his best interest, but when it comes to expecting him to 'just say no' to something tasty left out and within his reach, I don't do it. It makes our lives much simpler and we both function better. I never have to scold him for doing something as natural as licking his own balls (actually, I'm pretty sure Barney prefers pizza to his own genitals - I digress severely... Barney will eat just about anything most humans consider to be "food"; he'll also eat, relish even, some things that wouldn't qualify for "food" to a human under the worst of circumstances... I'm not talking about canibalism; no... think Feline Roca... ya'know, like Almond Roca).

So what's the point? Far be it from me to tell you... I'm screwing my own chicken here. I keep extra-curricular 'edibles' out of Barney's reach, and he keeps me honest by eating anything I leave in his reach. Oh... and all that dust and dirt that Barney brings into my truck probably has something to do with Hugo's switch issues. (we can discuss other switch issues another time).

As for Hugo, a liberal application of WD-40 to the overdrive switch and to the base of the ear where the high-beam switch along with a sensitive and prolonged exercising of each switch cured both problems. Now the overdrive responds as designed and the headlights keep things illuminated without pesky surpises. Which makes lubing and penetrating much better.

U(N)5M

Comments:
Does that N in parenthesis mean NOT? Just curious.
You forgot to mention that wd-40 also prevents rust. A very important feature. And that Long thin red straw like thingie to get into hard to get into spots... That's what I wanna give the wd-40 folks a shout out for. I mean, c'mon, There's all kinds of machine grease and lubricants but I don't know of any other that has such a handy attachment as that.
As for the dog savoring grossness topic: my beloved quadruped has taken a recent liking to dirt. Straight from the ground soil. Not just light little nibbles with some grass but big mouthfulls. What is that about? It's horrible. I worry he could get some awful disease. I'm not talking rich, yummy out in the potato field dirt either. I'm talking New York City park dirt. A resounding YUCK! Could this be a mineral deficiency?
 
I'll be your WD40,baby.
 
I'm sort of thankful that Luna doesn't like to role in shit or smelly mud or stuff that other dogs like. Then again, she doesn't really consider herself a member of the dog race as much as ours, so I shouldn't be surprised. She does enjoy the occaisional scooby snack (aka roca), I'll grant you that.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?